3. Mechanical Layout
Generating a Field Segment
A Mechanical Layout is based on Field Segments that define the areas to be filled with modules, and keepouts which define areas to be excluded and generate shade from surrounding obstructions.
- Click points to create a Field Segment shape
- Define module layout & racking assumptions
- If desired, set the maximum system size for the field segment
- Every line segment has a grey circle at its midpoint that can create a new point when dragged
- Right-click a point on a Field Segment to delete that point
The Azimuth defines the orientation of the modules (following a compass, where 90° is east, 180° is south, and 270° is west). Right-click the edge of a Field Segment to automatically set the module orientation to face that edge of the building.
The tilt value allows you to edit the angle of the modules. If you are using Flush Mount racking, tilt will define the slope of the roof. If you are using Fixed Tilt racking, the slope of the roof will be flat and the tilt will describe the angle of the modules relative to the roof.
Keepouts: Defining Obstructions and Walkways
Keepouts can be used to define both areas where modules should not be placed, and objects at a site that will cast shade that may affect modules.
- (optional) Toggle “Showing Array / Hiding Array” by clicking on the button in the top left of the page. This button can also be toggled by pressing shift + spacebar
- Draw Keepout shapes on the map for the appropriate setbacks and obstructions
- Switch to Edit mode to modify or copy the Keepout objects
- While in Keepout mode, you can remove modules from the design by right clicking them
- (optional) Define setback distance for buffer around the perimeter of Keepout objects
- (optional) Define height of the object for shade calculations
- Define time range for generating shade patterns (this is only a time range for a single day, the report will factor in the entire year of shading)
- (optional) Check or uncheck the “Keepout from shade” box to remove or place modules in shaded areas during the time range you have set