Converting TIFF-Based KMZ
Currently HelioScope doesn't support KMZ files that use TIFF imagery as overlays. If you have a KMZ file with TIFF imagery, this article will explain how to convert your imagery to a supported format (JPEG and KMZ) and how to replace the TIFF image inside the KMZ.
Converting Images to JPEG or PNG
- Open the image in Preview
- Click File > Save As (or Export)
- Under the Format dropdown choose JPG or PNG
- Click Save
- Open the image in Windows Paint
- Click File > Save As
- Select JPEG
Note: changing the file name extension will not change the image format correctly.
Replacing Imagery Inside the KMZ
After the imagery is converted into a compatible format, replace the TIFF imagery inside the KMZ with the new JPEG or PNG version of the imagery using the following steps:
- Open the KMZ file in Google Earth
- Right click on the KMZ file listed in the Places section
- Click "Get Info" to open the Edit Image Overlay
- On the Edit Image Overlay click "Browse" to select the JPEG. Click OK.
- Right click on the KMZ file again and click Save Place As